Thursday, May 28, 2020

Gil Basketball Academy Player Profile Jordan Montero

Playing basketball has taught Jordan Montero many life lessons, but the one that really resonates involves character

Salinas, CA, May 28, 2020 - Playing basketball has taught Jordan Montero many life lessons, but the one that really resonates involves character: “Anyone can be good at sports, but not everyone is a good sport.”

The 5-foot, 3-inch power forward/shooting guard plays for Everett Alvarez High School and on a select team for Gil Basketball Academy. She has participated in tournaments all over the Bay Area and as far away as Las Vegas.


“Basketball is one of the greatest things that has happened to me,” said Montero, 16. “Basketball, and especially being part of GBA, has really shaped who I am. It’s not only about basketball drills, they also teach character.”

Just being a member of a team has shown Jordan the values of listening, discipline and compromise.

“Volunteering with GBA at camps and on Monday night Academy Nights have really pushed the lesson of giving back,” she said. “I could share the knowledge they so readily gave me with the future generations of kids. Without GBA, I couldn’t imagine where I’d be, but let alone what kind of person I’d be. I don’t think I’d be nearly as thoughtful or considerate of others without basketball to begin with.”

The 10th grader lives in Salinas, the oldest of six kids.

“Life is never boring or dull,” she said. “My immediate future plans are simple, all I want to do is go to a good college.”

GBA has also taught Jordan the importance of education.

“It has extreme value to me,” she said. “I dream of the day I get to go off to college knowing that everything will be OK.”

Jordan will be the first person in her family to attend college, a fact that has really motivated her.

“I plan on working really hard in high school right now so I can go to the best college possible for me,” she said.

Montero credits GBA with opening a variety of doors in her life.

“I never knew some were possible for me,” she said, “from free basketball camps at Stanford, to more educational opportunities like a STEM program for women in science. GBA has introduced me to people willing to help me in basketball and with education. And for that I am truly grateful.”

Jordan also credits basketball with helping her overcome serious issues such as anxiety and low self-esteem.

“It took so long to even make progress to be where I am today,” she said. “And I’m still working on it, but things always get better. And they’re getting better one day at a time.”

Contact:
Marci Bracco Cain
Chatterbox PR
Salinas, CA 93901
(831) 747-7455
https://gilbasketballacademy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment